Saturday, May 8, 2010

Quinnetucket -- Another Dumping Ground Discovered

Over the past two years or so, I've spent a lot of time on the site I hope to one day be the Quinnetucket Golf Course. A certain segment of the Middletown population thinks the 95 acres that would make up the golf course are, "pristine" and "should be left alone."

Since there is a tree farm on the site and aerial photographs show it was a hay field, vegetable farm and chicken farm for much of the last 70-plus years, the site can not be considered pristine.

What has surprised me, though, is the amount of dumping areas I've found on the site. Some are recent and some date back to the farming days. Not too long ago, I was walking the western side of Duck Hill with Jon Johnson when we came across another garbage dump on a steep slope that appears to have been active prior to the construction of the Riverview Hospital. The garbage looks to be the contents of a house, including tubing to hold wiring and a woman's perfume spray bottle. There were also a number of empty liquor bottles scattered over the same area. I hope this is the last of the garbage that we come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment